What is SEO?
What is SEO? This question will be answered in this ‘SEO guide’. We’ll explain to you what SEO means and how you practice it the right way but also why a good Google ranking is so important and how webtexttool helps you with that.
SEO: The big fact list
SEO helps you to gain more (organic) traffic to your website. More visitors means more readers or conversion and revenue. You can see SEO as a door to your website. Through investing in SEO you ensure you’ll always have enough traffic. You can start easily with SEO and you improve the quality of your website.
When you work on your SEO activities in the right way it will always have a positive effect. The impact of most other (online) marketing activities is often not clear or measurable, contrary to SEO. You can see on which keywords visitors have entered the website and which pages they visit.
What does a higher ranking mean for me?
In the summary and table below you can see the average organic traffic percentage per ranking position one can count.
- A first position in the search results can generate an average of 35% of the search traffic.
- A second position in the search results can generatean average of 14% of the search traffic.
- A third position in the search results can generate an average of 10% of the search traffic.
- A fourth position in the search results can generate an average of 7% of the search traffic.
- A fifth position in the search results can generate an average of 5,5% of the search traffic.
- From position 6 in the search results you can count on an average of 4% of the search traffic
- From the second page you can count on an average of 0,0% of the search traffic
- These numbers are based on market averages.
Let’s imagine: every month 50.000 people search for ‘white t-shirt’ in a search enige. Your website appears in the third place in the search engine. You can count on an average of 5.000 visitors to your website. If you manage to reach the first place in the search results you could increase your traffic up to 35% of the search engine traffic! This means 17.500 visitors, instead of 5.000. A huge difference!
There are several factors with which you can influence the position of your website in the search results, namely:
There is often discussion about on-page and off-page SEO. On-page SEO stands for all factors within your website which you can address yourself. Technical factors and content largely fall under this. Authority, for example, falls under off-page SEO. The three factors are explained below.
Technique: This is related to things such as the speed of your website and whether it is readable on mobile devices. These are factors that are very important to Google.
Authority: Authority is about incoming links (also called backlinks). Both the number backlinks and the quality of the website which links to your website is an important indicator for search engines.
Content: A search engine has to be able to clearly understand what your pages and website are about. You can help search engines with this by structuring a page clearly and writing “for” a search term/keyword.
By incorporating a keyword into your content, what your content is about becomes clear to the search engine more quickly. And so a search engine can start to see your page as a good result for a search prompt for that keyword.